Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Walk in the Wilderness - Jr Retreat Remembered

After worship Friday evening, My co-counselor and I set out on a journey with 5 boys and 5 girls. It was just a hike to cabin 5 with all our luggage stacked quickly over our shoulders, tucked under arms or in one case held delicately underneath his chin. Sometimes what may appear as a simple, everyday thing to do can produce memories that last a life time. I think we must have looked like a disorganized wagon train marching along that path that so many Jr. Campers over the years have walked before. In the moment, my hiking partners, must have been struggling under the weight of all the things parents think campers need for a 23 hour retreat and I heard many reasons why we should move cabin 5 closer to the main lodge. However, by the next morning those difficult moments on the trail had become legendary stories about our great walk in the wilderness. And yes, we had to do it all over again in reverse at the end of the retreat on Saturday but I, and I think each of them too, are thankful for the memories in between. I want to give a deep thanks to Joan White and Lynne Sandegren for planning and directing this retreat and allowing me to counsel. This is what can happen when churches take the time to gather together for ministry. I look forward to the Chi Rho Retreat held on April 18-19. Blessings Bill Spangler-Dunning






No comments: